6 large meringues
3 egg whites
200g caster sugar
75g dark chocolate
Follow these steps:
1. Set the oven to 100°C/210°F.
2. Assemble the Ankarsrum with the metal beater bowl and balloon whisks.
3. Melt the dark chocolate with a double boiler or in the microwave.
4. Whisk the egg whites on low speed. Gradually increase the speed. Whisk until foamy.
5. Slowly add the sugar and continue to whisk until you have a glossy meringue with stiff peaks.
6. Drizzle the chocolate in the meringue and carefully fold the meringue a few times, just until the chocolate starts to distribute through the egg whites. Do not overmix or egg whites will deflate.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly divide the meringue mixture into 6 circular mounds on the baking sheet, leaving a couple inches space between them.
8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 2 hours or until the meringues feel dry.
9. Turn off the oven, crack the oven door open slightly, and let the meringues slowly cool down completely in the oven.
10. Store the meringues in an airtight container at room temperature.