In the first episode of our baking school, you will learn how to make Japanese milk bread. Japanese milk bread is incredibly fluffy, soft and delicious. One of the many things you can do in your Ankarsrum Assistent.
Japanese milk bread
700 g wheat flour
65 g caster sugar
14 g active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
500 g milk, 3% fat content
80 grams butter, room temperature
Follow these steps:
1. Assemble your Ankarsrum with the stainless-steel bowl, dough roller and dough knife.
2. Heat the milk on the stove until it reaches about 40°C/104°F. Add the yeast and stir until combined.
3. Pour the milk mixture into your Ankarsrum assistant.
4. In a separate bowl, combine wheat flour and caster sugar.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture little by little and mix on low speed. Slowly increase the speed if necessary.
6. Let the dough knead for about 5-7 minutes. Adjust the dough roller towards the middle if necessary.
7. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead in the butter by hand.
8. Put the dough back in the bowl and add salt.
9. Start the machine on medium speed and knead for about 8 minutes.
10. Put the lid on and let the dough rise for about 2 hours.
11. Take out the dough and place it on a clean work surface. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Form each portion into a ball.
12 Place 3 balls each in 2 parchment lined loaf pans.
13. Cover the bread with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
14. Set the oven to 175 °C/350°F.
15. Bake in the lower part of the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
16. Take out the bread and let it cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
17. Cut into slices and eat with your favorite spread.
18. To keep leftovers from staling, slice into individual portions, freeze, and wrap thoroughly.